Thursday, August 6, 2009

OuR NiCe tRiP ThRoUgH hAiL

We decided for our Hoskins Family Trip this year we would change it up a little and go to Island Park rather than our usual destination of Bear Lake. We camped in the Buffalo campground in loop d and it was fantastic. We had plenty of shade and room. The kids had a great time riding thier bikes around the loop and introducing themselves to the other campers. On friday some of us drove to West Yellowstone, we had a lot of fun shopping and looking around at all the cute stores. We did have a panic when my nephew was seperated from the group but we found him by our vehicles, thank goodness. We all took a trip down the Big Springs in canoes and the kids in inter-tubes pulled behind. We were able to see a moose, weasel, beaver dam, and do some fishing along the way. Paige loved all of the nature and is looking forward to adding all of this to her nature journal that she made. After the trip down, we headed back to camp for lunch and to relax for a bit. We decided that the adults and older kids would take another trip down the river after lunch. So we headed out for what we thought would be a relaxing trip down. As we were puting the canoes in, we noticed that there were some stormy clouds above and thought it might be nice to have a little rain. We had not even made it 1/8 of the down the river when the wind started blowing 30+ miles per hour. We were having a hard time keeping the canoe straight and getting it to go where we wanted. I think that we were about 2/3 of the way down when it started raining and HAILING on us. I had NO HAT so the water was just pouring down my face and everytime I tried to open my eyes I thought that I was going to lose a contact. Luckily, Shayne had his fishing hat on and was able to see and paddle us somewhat. By the time we made it to the end, my hand had slipped off the paddle and I had smacked myself in the eye (luckily I didnt get a black eye), our canoe was retaining water, we were both soaked and freezing, I had numb toes and hands. Who would have thought that we would have needed coats on the way down?? Well we survived our little adventure down, but I am starting to think that my husband and boats are not such a great mix!!!
On our way home, we stopped at Mesa Falls and that was fun. Payden locked himself in the camp trailer and tried to start a fire, we had to send Paige in through one of the tiny access doors to open the door, and to say the least we were not happy parents for sure!!! I think that school isn't going to come soon enough. Did I mention how much I LOVE my children??? I really do love them, I do!!! We always have such memorable family trips!!!

4 comments:

Just Us said...

He's always planning something in that handsome little head of his isn't he-haha! Sounds like a typical Murphy adventure!!

Just Us said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*Sheigh* said...

We went to Island Park August 7&8th. It was soo freakin cold up there. We go up there every year for a family reunion. The hail storm was awful. It was sinking our tent and it started leaking.Looks like you had some fun at least!:)

Autumn said...

Wish I'd been there. No more boats for Shayne!! Glad you had fun